Thursday, October 30, 2014

All Things Jenn!!!

Baby Update:)
As most people know, I gave birth to a precious baby boy in July.  I have kept in contact with the family and I am so thankful they are doing great!  My family is planning to visit them in a couple of weeks and I can't wait!  I truly miss being pregnant.  But I must say - having that first adult beverage after over a year was pretty amazing!  
I have begun working out again - mixed emotions about this! I am really enjoying it, although it took me several weeks to get into the swing of things again.  For whatever reason (and I wish I knew why), being focused 100% of the time has been hard this time.  Two years ago I was focused and it came easy.  This time I've slacked some and eaten things I know I shouldn't have.  However, I'm stronger every day and my Coach Alma Dominguez has been great helping me along!  I hope to have a better update on that next time!


I'm a Bulldog:)

Who woulda thunk it???  NOT ME!!!  Anyone who knows me knows how I live and breathe Navasota, Texas and Navasota ISD!  Since becoming a teacher, the only place I'd ever (like EVER EVER EVER) dreamed of teaching at was NISD.  I loved all my teachers growing up - I  pictured myself as them one day!  At SHSU's job fair, Mr. Hemann (our old asst. supe) asked "are you ready to come work for us" and I answered "yes sir"!  I applied, interviewed, and was pretty much hired on site.  I attended the board meeting where I was officially hired and remember Mr. Hood and Mrs. McLain coming up to me and welcoming me to NISD! Since then I lived and breathed NISD.  NISD helped me almost get divorced years ago because I was married to it more than I was married to David Ramirez.  But I was okay with that at the time!  I ABSOLUTELY LOVED MY JOB!!!


Fast forward twelve years..............education slowly and quickly (as weird as that sounds) changed - and not for the better!  Kids just aren't the same as they used to be!  My good friend Cindy said to me one day - "they are Jennifer - it's the parenting that is different". This is very true!  Kids nowadays are being raised by young people, or old people - and many values are different.  There is crazy stuff on tv and let's not even mention social media! It's hard to be a kid, parent, and especially hard to be a teacher!!!!!  

So about two years ago I decided to get out of the general education classroom and try something new - something different - something fresh - something to get me pumped about teaching for a few more years!  I hadn't considered it before, but thought I would try special education!  I attended a class and studied hard and researched it and became certified!  I had talked to my boss then about me being interested in a sped position if and when one came open.

This past Spring a resource job came open at my school.  I spoke with NISD's special education department head a couple of times, as well as my boss a couple of times.  I found out in April that he offered that job to a first year teacher to Navasota.  I will admit that I was disappointed! - for several reasons:  I am a graduate of Navasota, I have lived here 37 years, I have a graduate of Navasota, I have a student in Navasota, I am the biggest supporter of Navasota that I know - hell I even have a freakin' Rattler tattoo - geez!!!!, I taught here for 12 years, my husband is a Navasota graduate, I am highly qualified, I have studied, those kids need me, my heart is in it, I will be around forever, I have a vested interest in our school and district etc. etc. etc. (ya'll get the point)  I truly felt like I was a darn good choice!  So I told him exactly how I felt about his decision and that I would be looking for a job both in and out of district.  He replied a short and inconsiderate reply telling me "High Point and Intermediate are looking for a sped teacher".  Basically - he told me where I could go! THANKS A LOT DUDE!!!  I was once again disappointed.  Hold up Jenn!!!!!!!  Let's be honest - you were not disappointed - you were angry!  This reply let me know exactly where I stand and how he feels about me.  I knew at that point I had to leave.  I cannot and WILL NOT work for someone who thinks that little of me.  I will not face him daily!  I will not work my butt off for him!  I told David I needed to leave and his reply was "that's fine, but you better have another job lined out".  (several of my friends' husbands told them that it was fine to quit - and mine says I better have a job lined out!  LOL - Gotta love my D!!!) I approached the Intermediate principal, but another friend of mine from Webb was told we couldn't apply there because of their rating and because of our rating.  So intermediate was out!  I inquired at the junior high and high school, but they didn't have anything I wanted or was qualified for.  I then interviewed at High Point, but the principal decided to hire a first year teacher rather than me! THANKS AGAIN LADY!!!  I then applied to three local districts hoping something would come open before I had to tell David sorry - we are going to live on Ramen noodles, boil our bath water, and dress by candlelight because there is no way in heck I'm working for that dude!  I prayed often and spoke to my close friends constantly. IT'S IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT THAT NEARLY 30 PEOPLE FROM WEBB LEFT JUST THIS YEAR!!! MANY OF US STAYED IN CLOSE CONTACT DURING OUR JOB SEARCHES!  And I still trip out that my hometown district was okay with letting me go.  Not to toot my own horn - but you need Jennifer Ramirez on your side!!! Just sayin'!!!

Early July I was big and pregnant and laying in bed when I received a call from a cheerful lady who asked if I could come interview for a sped job in Waller!  I was shocked, excited, scared, and excited again!  I was scheduled to attend a conference in Austin the day she wanted me to interview, but I told her no biggy - I'd drive back down to Waller and back to Austin afterwards.  She kindly said I didn't have to do that and asked if I could come today! I was like absolutely! I texted some close friends for advice on interviewing (I had only interviewed twice before that - 12 years ago and most recently at High Point).  My sped friends gave me some tips and everyone wished me well.  

As I drove to Waller - it truly felt like an out of body experience - what in the world was I doing?  Was Jennifer Navasota ISD Rattler Ramirez actually doing this?  My eyes teared up and my heart raced.  It was too weird!  I interviewed with an awesome principal and awesome sped department head.  I thought it went well and I came home to sleep (remember this is my most favorite thing to do)!  D came home and I told him about it.  He napped too.  Then my phone rang and it was a Waller number.  The principal had called to offer me the position!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!  I gladly accepted and woke D up to tell him!  He congratulated me and the rest is history!  Happy history!! My new human resource department emailed me official info and I typed up my resignation. (one of the things it said was that I hoped the new teacher in my room loved Navasota kids half as much as I do) My old boss did say how he wished me well (although two other sped jobs came open and I was never considered for that - but that's none of my business (kermit's voice)).  

My awesome husband and son packed my entire 12 years of classroom stuff and hauled it home. I didn't lift a finger (perks of being prego)! 

I would like to ask for you to pray for teachers.  Our job is hard. There are tears shed daily. I get calls from people needing help!  Literally crying for help! Many of my friends spend hours on end at school.  Become educated on what is going on. Become active.  Become visible. I will blog about teaching again in the future - but my point is that things have been better in Navasota and I hope that they return to those days soon.  

I would also like to say how grateful I am for Waller - for giving this fat Mescan girl who they didn't know a chance!!! I still can't believe I'm not in Navasota.  It's surreal. But it is a good time to be gone. I will forever be grateful to them and this experience.  I am grateful for a big raise (although I'm not in it for that - but it sure doesn't hurt).  The drive is pretty cool.  It gives me time to focus, pray, relax, and thank God for life and His beauty.  I am grateful for great leaders who have a heart for their job. I am loving my students.  I am grateful for being able to be home early. Those long hours are for the birds!  I am grateful for less stress.  I am grateful for phone calls on the way home to catch up with friends. I am grateful for God having a plan for me, even when I don't see it for myself.  I am so grateful for the doors and opportunities He opens for me.  It's truly a present!  I AM JUST PLAIN GRATEFUL!

OPRAH! :)
My daughter Kimberly, my friend Shannon and I attended Oprah's The Life You Want Weekend two weeks ago.  It was very inspirational and very fun!!!  I have always been a fan of hers because she is the best teacher ever and it was amazing to see her in person!!! Some quotes I wrote from her and her speakers:

Honor your calling.

You are co-creating your life.

You become what you believe.

You have no power in any territory other than your own.

Write a new story.

You can wear better shoes, but keep your feet on the ground.

Take what's happened to you and use it!

I'll share more later.  This was just from day one!  Thanks for reading about my life.  I hope you are able to learn from me as much as I've learned from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment